Tuesday 17 September 2013

Spielberg Started Somewhere...

It's not easy this video-making lark.

I had great intentions of making my video about the Adventure Challenge and submitting it to JCNN, James Cook uni's news network, but I don't think my effort is good enough. I didn't realise that I'd missed so many shot sequences until I came to edit it all together.

I think it also suffers from its missing music track. I made one in GarageBand, but it didn't make it through the Vimeo upload process. Maybe it's out there in cyberspace somewhere, waiting to attach itself to someones iTunes download. 

If you get a version of something that sounds vaguely like dance music but was obviously made by someone clueless in the ways of dance music (or any music, now I come to think of it, I only believe it's dance music because it said so on the button I clicked in GarageBand) don't complain to Apple. Just smack it on it's little digital bum and send it to home to me. 

I should have planned the shoot better. I should have interviewed more people (I did start but then got busy moving the camera everywhere to really mix up my shots and make the video extra confusing). I should have written a voice-over and put narration on it. I should have...well, you get the picture, there's lots of things I should have done.

Will I make the same mistakes again? Yep, I sure will, and new ones too. I'd love to be able to say that I'll never make "that" mistake again but I'm old enough to know that isn't the way it works in Chris world. 

Some people find it impossible to admit they've made a mistake in the first place, and I think they miss out on one of the best life lessons of all.

When I did my engineering apprenticeship with George from the Ukraine many years ago, he taught me many things. I think his most valuable lesson though was teaching me how to get myself out of the poo when I'd dropped myself in it.

George always had a trick up his sleeve. Whether it was something that he'd saved from an earlier job or something he'd salvaged from around the factory (he used to make me sift through the cleaner's floor sweepings for odd nuts and bolts and then save them in old tobacco tins for when they were needed) he could always come up with something that would fix the problem. He was MacGyver before MacGyver.

It would be nice to be good at everything straight away but life doesn't work like that. We have to keep plugging away at things to get better. Unless it's skiing. My decision to quit that after two lessons was appreciated by everyone at Thredbo, especially the people in the ski class I knocked over.

No comments:

Post a Comment