Saturday 18 May 2013

Let Me Sell You A Story...

Our last two lecture sessions were spent presenting our final journalism assignment for the semester, the story pitch. 

We had to develop a story idea, find all the information and sources needed, figure out the best type of medium to use in telling the story and then decide on the most appropriate media outlet to approach with our idea. We also had to identify the associated news values and outline any ethical dilemmas.

After gathering everything together, we had to present our story idea to our classmates - and Marie - who played the role of the editorial board for our chosen outlet. They then picked our idea apart, looking for glaring omissions or errors in judgement. If that wasn't enough pressure, the story pitch assignment was worth 40 percent of our final grade and we only had four minutes to make our presentation.

I initially thought of a story explaining the benefits of the National Disability Insurance Scheme, but the 2018 implementation date didn't make it a timely enough story, one that is relevant right now. Of course, the week I made my pitch, the increase to the Medicare levy to pay for the scheme had just been announced, making my untimely idea one of the hottest stories of the week. 

I found another story idea, a convoluted tale full of intrigue and political dealing, possibly even political misdealing, though my dilemma was how to present it. I felt that to understand the parts of the story that I wanted to investigate and report on, the editorial board would need to know their relevance in relation to a complex chain of events. 

I bought a book on presentations which recommended writing a single word summation of your key points on Post-it notes to get your thoughts in order. This worked well until I turned the fan on and my supposedly super sticky little yellow squares fluttered around the room like jaundiced suicidal butterflies. Still, they'd stuck long enough for me to work out what I wanted to say, my next problem was how to say it.

My book said to forget torturing your audience with PowerPoint presentations, an idea I whole-heartedly agreed with. I'd had enough problems fighting an uncooperative Excel spreadsheet during my media diary assignment, and certainly didn't want to wrestle with yet another recalcitrant Microsoft product during this one. I decided to write a script and read it out. The book said not to, but I have trouble remembering a drink order at the pub (except my bit, I always get that right) and there was no way I'd remember the entire story pitch.

I practised reading my script out in a strong, clear voice until I could do it flawlessly. My ideas flowed, my story had impact and I could explain it all in under four minutes. I was pumped, I was primed, I was ready to pitch. Of course, on the day, my new found presenting skills deserted me and I stuttered and spluttered my way through my pitch before gratefully collapsing back in my seat, happy that the easy part was over. The hardest part, that nerve-racking wait for the result, had only just begun...




No comments:

Post a Comment