Sunday 5 May 2013

Security to the Self-Checkouts Please

Does anyone else have the same problems with those swipe-your-own-groceries-through-the-check-out-and-put-someone-out-of-a-job machines as me? 

 I don't want to suggest that they're evil but the ones I've encountered all seem to share the same human-hating genetics as the Daleks in Dr Who. Maybe I'm being slightly fanciful but deep down, I know they'd happily steal my identity, eat my card and short change me, all in the blink of an infra-red eye. I seem to recall swearing at a less than honest chocolate vending machine when I was younger, but that was all. There was no violence, we didn't come to blows, I just learnt that sometimes life can be cruel and, Twix-less, moved on.

These new machines though, oh, they're cunning. It doesn't seem to matter if I only have one item, that'll be the only item in the entire store that refuses to scan. Or maybe it will scan but it'll do it twice, three times if it's just swallowed a foreign coin and is feeling in an especially bad mood. 

Failing that, the old "unexpected item in bagging area" is always good for a laugh. If you listen carefully, you'll even hear the other five machines sniggering at that old favourite, after all, it's the oldest trick in the e-book. The pitiful looks I get from the shop assistant with the magic fix-everything-swipe-card make me want to explain that it's not my fault, his cheating, stealing grandfather and I knew each other years ago but didn't get on. But that would just make me look weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment