Monday 22 April 2013

Not Giving Up Without a Flight

When I was a kid, I was always fascinated how someone could walk into the travel agents and book a flight for sometime in the next year. The next year! By some curious trickery, the airline could say where and when their jumbo jet was going to be months in advance, they'd even tell you to the minute when it was going to take off. I couldn't figure out if I'd be doing maths or PE later that afternoon, how were they so organised?

Well, years later, older but not necessarily wiser, I've learnt that their trickery was just someone with crossed fingers and a spreadsheet, and that planes don't take off on time, in fact sometimes they dont even take off at all. Jetstar JQ926 from Brisbane to Cairns this morning for example, was cancelled due to unforseen mechanical problems. Of course, you know who was supposed to be sitting in 10D don't you?

OK, not the end of the world but a pain in the butt for sure. The cynic in me wonders if it really was my plane that had the mechanical problems or if another plane on a more important route such as Brisbane to Sydney or Brisbane to Melbourne actually had the problems. We can't keep important business people waiting, lets ditch the tourists instead. Or maybe the flight was only half full and they thought they'd save some money by cancelling it.

There's only one way to find out and as soon as I get to the airport, I'll be requesting copies of their maintenance logs and flight manifests. It'll give me something to read while I wait for my new, and most likely delayed, flight to take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment